Municipal Services Assistant
The City of Morgan Hill
17575 Peak Avenue, Morgan Hill, California 95037, USA
$68,376 - $87,240 / YR
About the Role
CITY OF MORGAN HILL
Municipal Services Assistant
$32.87 - $41.94 Hourly
$68,376 - $87,240 Annually
Choose Morgan Hill: The City of Morgan Hill is the best community for people to live, work, visit, and operate their businesses.
JOB SUMMARY: Under general supervision of assigned supervisor, provides varied and responsible advanced office and technical support. The Municipal Services Assistant may be assigned to any City department; perform related work as required.
CLASS CHARACTERISTICS: The Municipal Services Assistant is an advanced journey level classification requiring well-developed office support skills and the ability to learn and apply technical knowledge related to a specific technical area of services to which the Municipal Services Assistant is assigned. This classification is also responsible to provide factual information to the public and others and may perform lead duties for other office support classifications. The ability to acquire and apply technical knowledge and skill distinguishes this class from the general office support classes.
IDEAL CANDIDATE: The Morgan Hill City Clerk’s Office is a high-performing team that provides a multitude of services throughout the organization. They are a small, hardworking team that is looked to for their resourcefulness, consistent work product, great attitude, and fantastic customer service for both external and internal customers. The ideal candidate for this position would be a great fit with the existing team and deliver excellent and consistent results. They are adaptable, reliable, and thoughtful. This person is driven and works with a sense of urgency. They are detail oriented, take initiative and responsibility, and provide exceptional customer service. They should enjoy working as part of a team and also autonomously.
APPLICATION and SELECTION PROCESS:
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please apply immediately as this announcement may close without notice. Apply at www.morganhill.ca.gov and submit the following items:
• A completed City of Morgan Hill employment application
• Responses to the supplemental questions
• Cover Letter
• Copy of Certificates (if applicable)
Please note only completed application packets will be reviewed.
Oral exam date will be determined after the closing date.
Examples of Duties
The following duties are performed personally, in cooperation with the assigned supervisor, and/or in coordination with other City staff and community groups. Additional duties may be assigned.
1. Receive visitors and answer inquiries regarding assigned department's procedures and functions, transfer and refer calls as appropriate, and page supervisors as appropriate.
2. Provide factual information regarding City guidelines as they apply to assigned function.
3. Prepare check request forms, route to department director for approval, and send to the Finance Division for payment.
4. Track and maintain records and information necessary for work related to assigned function.
5. Process and track contracts, publications, recorded documents, contract, work orders, purchase orders, requisitions, loan payoff requests, reconveyance documents, and other forms in support of the assigned function.
6. Track and monitor files and databases related to assigned function area.
7. Prepare and update a variety of reports, establish and maintain office files, and research and compile information from such files.
8. Proofread and check typed materials for accuracy and completeness.
9. Enter and retrieve data using a computer-based records system.
10. Prepare and update a variety of reports, which may require the use of mathematical calculations.
11. Distribute information to other City teammates and outside agencies as appropriate and follow-up as required.
12. Operate standard office equipment; depending upon assigned functional area, may also operate radio equipment to dispatch calls or information to staff in the field.
13. Obtain and monitor insurance certificates with proper endorsement.
14. Back-up other department support team as needed.
15. Complete conference, meeting, and training registration forms, and may make appropriate travel reservations for team in functional area.
16. Provide staff assistance to a specified board or commission.
17. Open and distribute interoffice mail, attaching back-up information.
18. May provide staff assistance or relief office support to other City departments.
19. Assist in the preparation and processing of bid documents.
20. Assist in maintaining various financial records in support of the various programs in assigned functional area.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education & Experience:
1. Graduation from high school or equivalent
2. Four years of office administrative experience.
Licenses & Certificates:
1. Must posses a typing certificate (minimum net 40 words per minute) dated within six months of date of hire.
1. Standard office administration procedures and practices, including business letter writing and the operation of common office equipment, including the use of a personal computer.
2. Record keeping, report preparation and filing methods.
3. Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
4. Basic practices of specified functional area in a municipality, including City guidelines, procedures, and standard safety procedures.
5. Financial record keeping principles and practices.
6. Basic contract administration principles and practices.
1. Providing varied office administrative and clerical assistance with a minimum of supervision.
2. Answering inquiries and providing factual, technical information regarding the activities of the assigned functional area.
3. Making accurate mathematical calculations.
4. Prioritizing work, coordinating several activities, and following-up as required.
5. Using initiative and sound independent judgment within established guidelines.
6. Customer service techniques and practices.
7. Use of common office software including Microsoft Office.
8. Providing outstanding customer satisfaction (internally and externally).
1. Rapidly learn the specific procedures related to the work, including the use of a computer for word processing and records retention, under limited supervision.
2. Communicate tactfully and effectively with the public.
3. Work well in a position of high-volume public interaction.
4. Prepare and update a variety of detailed reports and documents.
5. Use initiative and sound judgment within established guidelines.
6. Establish and maintain working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Employee frequently is required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch.
2. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception, the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Employees generally work 90% indoors and 10% outdoors.
2. The work environment indoors is usually in a temperature-controlled office.
3. Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
CORE VALUES COMMON TO ALL POSITIONS:
• Developing and maintaining a thorough working knowledge of all department and applicable City policies and procedures in order to help facilitate compliance with such policies and procedures by all employees.
• Demonstrating by personal example the service excellence and integrity expected from all employees by representing the City in a professional manner within our organization, to the general public, and with other agencies.
• Developing respectful and cooperative relationships with co-workers, including a willingness to assist newer employees.
• Conferring regularly with and keeping the immediate supervisor informed of all important matters pertaining to those functions and job responsibilities for which accountable.
• Working collaboratively within the organization and community to advance the values of teamwork, innovation, customer service, professional development, and meeting challenges
Agency: City of Morgan Hill
Address: 17575 Peak Avenue Morgan Hill, California, 95037
Required Qualifications / Experience
- Graduation from high school or equivalent
- Four years of office administrative experience.
- Must posses a typing certificate (minimum net 40 words per minute) dated within six months of date of hire.